Monday, June 27, 2011

Have you heard?

My old friend Jamie is back!

Okay so it's not new news, but it was to me! I just saw his first episode on Saturday!
Don't know what I'm talking about?
This is his website. He is a chef/nutritionist from Englad who has come to start a food revolution in America! His last season began with the unhealthiest city in America! See for yourselves!

 You can see some of the things he did. Amazing. 1/2 of adulte obese?! One thing I love about him is that he's not all into the crazy health nut stuff. He really thinks food should taste good, and be good for you.
This season he is in LA. The big head hanchos aren't letting him into the schools. BOO! He showed how disgusting the food is that the kids are being served. It's my opinion, and based with some research, that unhealthy food (high fat, high sugar) has an addictive quality. You eat it, you want it more. You don't eat it, you don't miss it. I know that's how it works for me personally. Except I do love me an occasional pizza...or burger...or cookies. That's beside the point. I feel like we're teaching kids to get into unhealthy habits. They don't have the same choices and knowledge adults have. Did you know early elementary aged kids are starting to get kidney stones and plaque in their veins? Ask them if they know/care that their cheeseburger is doing that to them.

I know you're interested right? You can go to http://www.hulu.com/ to watch Mr. Oliver in action. It's called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Personally, I think what he's doing is incredible. I wish all people would watch the show and try to learn healthy habits.

Did you guys know I'm a nutrition major? I'm thinking of posting some of my healthy recipes on here for ya'll to try. Raise your hand if you want some!

In other news, me and the mister had us a great weekend.
highlights:

(1) marinated grilled chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, and broccoli for dinner Saturday night.
(2) talapia with squeezed lime, brown rice, and mixed veggies for lunch Friday.
(3) the chocolate cheesecake from cheesecake factory we split Saturday night. We had a gift card, even better.
[does it make me a food junkie if my top 3 highlights are food related?]
(4) Victoria's secret semi-annual sale. 1/3 the price? Other stuff for 1/3 the price? Bridal shower gift cards? Nuff said.
(5) MONOPOLY! We played it Friday and now we're obsessed. Seriously, the next thing on my mind after food is when we can play next. Clint trashed me, and I don't even care. We even debated missing a friend's reception that night so we could play another game. I wonder if he'll play with me after work...
(6) coupon cutting. I'm also obsessed with coupons. I get really excited for the Sunday paper to roll along to find out what awesome things we're going to save on this week. I got it for $1 a week Sunday and Wednesday. It's easily saved us $40 in the 2 weeks we've been getting it. I even have them alphabetized. I'm not ashamed.

It was so good to have my hubby home. I kinda like him.

10 comments:

Shay said...

I LOVE Jamie Oliver and that show! It blew me away when he filled up that bus with the amount of sugar in the drinks given to kids in school or when he made the kids walk the track long enough to work off the calories from one snack. So sad because really-kids don't know any better unless they are taught. One thing I know-my kids will be taking their lunches!

I started as a nutrition major too! Loved it!

Amy @ Amy Day to Day said...

Oh girl, I definitely don't have the motivation to look cute every day, TRUST ME! My blog does help, though, but I usually get really dressed up for church and then get dressed a couple other days during the week for my outfit posts. The rest of the days (and right after the pictures are taken hehe!) I'm in comfy pants and a tshirt!

I watched Jamie Oliver the whole first season, but haven't caught it this season.

Amy said...

Wow, never heard of this show until now. I'm touched and really don't want to miss any episode! Thank you so much for sharing! I love Jamie! :)

Unknown said...

Hand raised! :)

Unknown said...

warning: this will be a long comment. haha.
I've never heard of this show, but I'm totes going to go watch it now! Love it!! It really is so sad the kind of habits we're giving children, even aside from food.
I raise my hand for healthy recipes! That's AWESOME that you're a nutrition major!
I LOOOOVE the Cheesecake Factory! So so yummy!
I. LOVE. COUPONS.TOO. :)

Megan said...

I want to learn to do coupons! You should post tips!! And I'm glad that your hubby is home and y'all lovebirds are together again! : )

Laynah said...

oh my goodness chocolate cheesecake is to diie for! thanks for making me hungry. and thats cool that you're a nutrition major, so is my bestie :)

Chelsea said...

My hand is in the air.

Bah. I wish we had a Victoria's Secret near here. 1/3 of the price is almost normal priced. Ha ha.

You are such a doll. And I really appreciate the sincere comments you have left on my blog. You said some things today that I really needed to hear. I'm really grateful that you took the time to respond. You helped me out a lot.

And. Yay for husbands being home! It's the best when they're around.

Courtney B said...

PLEASE post some healthy recipes!! Oh I would love you forever!! Ok...I already do. But pretty please post some recipes?!
And you have totally motivated me to get couponing again! I've been slacking...not sure why?? I want to save $$

Kristen Thornburg said...

Oh my I LOVEEE his show!
I am quite a health nut, and it makes me so happy what he is doing! I hope it can help some people!

Couponing is hard... I feel like all the coupons I get... I would never use or buy those products anyways. And the coupons are never for fresh food. :(