Monday, April 18, 2011

Just one.

I have some really fantastically awesome news to share with you.
Are you sitting down?
You probably are, since you are probably at a computer.
I've been working with my friend Ashley, who is amazing, and started The Shine Project. Seriously, she is amazing.  We have been talking about ideas for a project for April. Working with each other's ideas, as well as some outside sources I'm sure, we've [pretty much she] come up with a plan I'm really excited about. Really excited. Scream in the middle of the street excited.

Did you know that some people don't have clothes to wear to church? Wouldn't it be sad if that's what kept people from church? Or if they did go to church and were teased for their clothing? That would be really hard. Imagine being a teenage girl, crying over your torn up, stained, old rags. I'm wanting to start some kind of thing where people can donate Church appropriate clothes, and they can be distributed to those who need them. Tell me I can't do it and I'll kick you in the shins. If you have any ideas for how I can get started, please let me know. If' you're like me, you don't even wear half the things in your closet. Does your floor look like this?
Even if it doesn't it probably could if you were a little messier. Well, some people's closets look like this:
Or maybe they don't have a closet. That would be worse. Or maybe they're spotted with a few items you would count as worse than trash. When I told Ashley my idea, we [read: she] came up with something we can do right now. There's a woman's home that acts as a safe haven from danger they may be facing. These women NEED clothes. Imagine not really owning anything. Clothes. Food. A place to live. Security. Hope. They need clothing donations and people to work to distribute the clothing. Why am I telling you this? Not to toot my horn.  I want you to know you have the opprotunity to make a difference. Donating your clothing to Goodwill and the like is good and all, but the people still have to pay for it, and find a way to get to the stores. This way, you're donating it directly to the people who need it, free of charges they can't afford. You want to get involved don't you? You can e-mail me at dancewithalexis{at}aol{dot}com or leave a comment!
I would love for you guys to help me with donations, whatever. If you don't know how to get started, I can help you.

"For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."
Matthew 25:36-37

You can do great things!


Man, I just love you guys. 

7 comments:

Gentri said...

Is this the "new direction" the Shine Project is taking? :D Either way, it's super exciting! What a great idea! I don't have any great ideas off the top of my head for you. But while reading your post this video popped into my head that I watched yesterday. It's not really what you're going for, but maybe how this girl did things will inspire you or give you some ideas. Or maybe you can talk to her (since she's in AZ too)! haha! GOOD LUCK!!! :D
Here's the link:
https://lds.org/youth/video/195-dresses?lang=eng

Ashley from Sloanbook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley from Sloanbook said...

Hey! Another thought...I used to work at a treatment center for at-risk youth in Provo...and if you contact treatment centers they accept donations sometimes..I know a lot of the kids there didn't have a lot of clothes...but you could really contact any of those types of places if you need other options for places to donate! Try Heritage Residential Treatment Center (I worked there) and if you google there are a ton in Utah. Some girls in my unit didn't even have athletic shoes to workout in! I am moving in less than a week but if you jump on this let me know and I can see if I can get donations or donate some of my stuff! Sorry I'm totally assuming your in Utah (I just started looking at your blog now...so I have no clue...)

Email me @ ashleysloan7@gmail.com

Ashley Sloan

ashley.warner said...

I just cleaned out my closet...and was going to take them to DI...but i would LOVE to help out Alexis!
YOU ARE AMAZINGGGGGGG lady!

Mikelle Jade said...

oooh very cool.
Never heard of the Shine Project, but I am going to check it out.

I have been going thru my closet this month because of the upcoming wedding and move... I have so many things I need to get rid of! Not just clothes-- random stuff too!

Are you dealing with the same thing? probably. Isn't it crazy that come next month we will be married women??? ah! I am so excited for you! I hope you shower went well :)

Oh and I fixed my buttons by the way ♥ thanks for letting me know!

Alexa Mae said...

You are amazing! Truly. One hundred times yes!! Let me know how. Maybe we can meet up.

Can I just say how much I love you and how sweet you ALWAYS are!!? Thanks for being so great!

Unknown said...

LOVE this!!! I'm so glad you decided to go for it! So many people are going to be touched by this. You go girl!