It has come to my attention recently in my adult life that not everyone loves Halloween. I know. This came as a shock to me too. Like oh really, you don't like magic and chili and laughter and candy? Do you hate Santa, puppies and babies too?
I've decided to take a proactive approach and convert all of you HHs (Halloween Haters) into lovers.
Love >> Hate
I'm a nerd.
Reasons why Halloween deserves your love
1) Food. Food is pretty much all I can think about these days, so no wonder it's first. While I grew up eating pizza on Halloween, I have since adopted the Chili tradition. I support both, although this year my chili will probably have to be preceded by an entire bottle of extra stength tums. Don't you dare tell me to skip it. Seriously though, who says no to Chili? Same person who hates Santa right? It's especially irresistable when paired with some fresh cornbread.
2) It's magical. As a kid I never thought of Halloween as gory and evil, it was magic. Dressing up and getting paid (in candy) to do so=MAGIC. You can be anything you want. Actually, that's a whole other point.
3) AWESOME costumes. Clever costumes are my favorite kind. Would you like to see my costumes from the last 3 years?
Goose and Maverick with muh homegirl Brittany
nerds wit muh BFF Brittany
[will I EVER be that skinny again?!]
DR. PEPPER!!!!!!! Still patting myself on the back about this one
This years has fair competition though. Sometimes I run into someone who thinks it's weird I still get so excited to get dressed up. To them I say, go back to spending your time hating babies. I plan on always dressing up.
4) Caramel Apples. This deserves it's own point. Have you ever met someone who was like "oh, I don't like carmel apples and I hate puppies also." Me either. Everyone loves them. Did you know they're flippin delicious with M&Ms on them? GO MAKE SOME.
5) The weather. I live in Arizona. I grew up in Tucson. The weather is perfect! We never had to cover up our costumes with coats! The weather was just right for running up and down the neighborhood. It was the welcoming of Fall.
6) Hocus Pocus. I would say Halloween movies in general, but really what I would mean is Hocus Pocus. I just ordered it. $6.99 with free shipping from Amazon. Half of my friends think I'm a nerd, half think I'm awesome. I can live with that ratio. I already have plans to watch it twice. I don't like scary movies, which means kid halloween movies are perfect for me. They're...wait for it.....magical.
7) It's the start of the holiday season which really, just adds further to the magic.
8) Decorations. Go ahead and try to tell me something that could be cuter than my witch.
(by the time I'm old, I plan to have collected a plethora of Halloween decorations. No take-backs on wives, Clint!)
I love the decor. Also, that you can make awesome decor by gutting a gourd.
9) It could by my nieces favorite holiday. She loves pumpkins and skeletons and the "spooky tree" decoration they have in their house. Really, can you argue with that face?
10) CANDY. Whenever I cross paths with a bag of candy, I have to smell it. It's nostalgic. Brings me right back to Halloween of '96 (I don't actually remember the year) dressed up in my Cinderella costume my mom hand-made while my brothers and I traded candy. I don't really ever eat candy the rest of the year, but there's something magical about it during Halloween time. It tastes better too.
It worked didn't it? You all love Halloween now.
[p.s. THANK YOU for the support from my last post. I really wish I could reply to all of you! I want to eventually :)]