Monday, July 9, 2012

It's kind of hard.

Everyone has heard that the first year of marriage is the hardest, right? I've heard it close to a billion times. Heck, I heard it a billion times in the 3.5 months I was engaged. Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell all those people they can shove it. That's a load of crap. I can't say enough good things about our first year. It wasn't perfect and we had more than one disagreement, but honestly, it was pretty easy and totally awesome.

I think it should be more like, pregnancy is flippin tough in a marriage. Before you sound the alarms, Clint and I are 100% in love with each other and still have a rockin' marriage. However, pregnancy is stressful. There's all the "what-ifs?" and "Hows?" of both pregnancy and life after the baby is born. You would think babies were coated in GOLD they're so expensive. Anyway, it's awesome, but it's kind of stressful. Not to mention the fact that I feel like I'm going to roll over and DIE any second and I'm dealing with a little thing called hormones that don't exactly make my mood stable.

That's not the point I want to make. My point, is that Clint is a champ. Why? Let me count the ways...

  • He has made countless trips to Walgreens and the grocery store for medications and other essentials. Sometimes multiple times in one day. He never complained. A lot of those trips also included things that could be deemed "embarrassing." Moms, can I get an amen?
  • He cheered me on (literally) when I had to chug nasty medicines like milk of magnesia (if you've never used it, please don't google what it's for....seriously though, it tastes disgusting. That's all you need to know)
  •  He stays up and rubs my back when I lay in bed at night and just cry because I'm so darn frustrated with being so sick all the time!
  • He still tells me I'm pretty even though I have 16-year-old-boy acne and sometimes go days without make-up or getting dressed.
  • He leads a productive life while I lay in bed watching Switched at Birth.
  • He tries to be patient when the horns come out. (H-O-R-M-O-N-E-S!)
  • He always listens during my "HOW IS IT POSSIBLE! BABIES ARE SO BIG! HOW ARE THERE SO MANY BABIES?! OUCH!!!" speech.
  • He didn't get upset that I had to cut my hours at work
  • He never complained about all the laundry I didn't do or dishes that stayed in the sink for way to long. Read: until he could do them.
  • He has also taken on the role of grocery shopping since it takes me two hours (literally) because I have to take breaks to rest and breaks to dry heave. That's embarrassing. TMI? Sorry friends, pregnancy isn't all pretty.
  • He didn't complain about how my homecooked meals got substituted for months of PB&Js or cans of soup.
  • That one time the only think that sounded edible was Chickfila, Clint was all over it. I fell in love all over again.
  • He didn't get embarrassed when I up-chucked in front of his friend...although I definitely did
  • He doesn't get grossed out when we're on the phone and all of a sudden he hears me losing my lunch
  • He has brought me a thousand drinks (virgin, duh. We're talkin mostly gatorade) in bed. And medicine. And food. And didn't complain about how many crumbs I manage to spread in our bed.
  • He has come to almost all Dr.s appointments and plans to come to as many as humanly possible. He gets excited when we get to hear the heartbeat...which kind of sounds like a dog barking under water.
  • He is so excited and I love when he talks about life post baby.
  • He pats my belly and tells the baby to be nice to its momma
  • He tells me "love you both" and I just think it's the sweetest thing in the world. See, just typing that makes me tear up. (H-O-R-M-O-N-E-S)
So I guess there's a few lessons you can learn from this. I stink at being pregnant. Pregnancy is not glamorous. Oh, and Clint is the flippin bomb and I love him so much and I'm so glad he's my baby daddy.
Amen.

8 comments:

Emma Frances said...

Doesn't pregnancy just make you SO grateful for your husband?! I don't know how I would do it without my wonderful husband! And seriously, pregnancy does make marriage a bit harder! We've got this though!! :]

Unknown said...

Super adorable. You really did find yourself a rockstar.

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sorry for this not so glamorous part of pregnancy! You're in my prayers, girl. you can do this!

Unknown said...

Awww you caught a great one Alexis ;) I teared up reading that last one ;) (yeah my horomones too, but it's so sweet it doesn't matter!) And I truly hope you start feeling better soon!! I know how much it sucks, I was sick til week 25 so I totally understand where you're coming from! Good luck babe!

Courtney B said...

You and Clint are the CUTEST! And I must say... our first year was definitely the most difficult! Ha ha. Not that we didn't love each other like crazy, but each year has gotten better and better!
But seriously... let's talk about just how freakin' expensive these babies are... AH! I guess the good thing is that you really don't have to buy much after your first baby. But wow. Baby stuff is expensive. And those lovely doctor bills... so fun.

Mikelle Jade said...

oh this is so sweet :) you two are the cutest. Hang in there Alexis! I hope time passes by quickly for you... it helps to have a good man on your side! and hey before you know it, you'll be halfway, and then before you know it again, you'll be in the third trimester, and graduating! and THEN you can stress about the "too big how is it possible?" thing. I seriously have told myself I just can't worry about it because there is nothing I can do about it!

Tatum said...

Ok I am CRACKING UP about the Chik-Fil-A comment! What is it about those French fries and mini chicken bites that satisfy a pregnant belly so well!? I hope you start feeling better soon!!!

Clint said...

wow that was really sweet of you to write all that babe! I have definitely had the easy job in this whole baby growing process! Love you my dear!