Thursday, April 17, 2014

HE knows us.

About two weeks ago my church had general conference. It's a world-wide conference where we receive direction and inspiration from our church leaders (www.mormon.org). It's fabulous and I look forward to it every time. 

It is easy to be grateful for things when life seems to be going our way. But what then of those times when what we wish for seems to be far out of reach?
Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be.
When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. In grief, we can still lift up our hearts in praise. In pain, we can glory in Christ’s Atonement. In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven’s embrace.
We sometimes think that being grateful is what we do after our problems are solved, but how terribly shortsighted that is. How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?
- President Dieter F Uchtdorf

I have really been trying to implement this call into my life. No matter the circumstances, I want to have a grateful heart. 

Several weeks ago, I had a procedure to treat an infection in my jaw. Well, it didn't take. My doctor wanted me to do another round of antibiotics. That whole deal was a mess in and of itself. Finally, I got the pharmacy and the doctor on the same page. I spoke to the pharmacy and they said my prescription was ready to be picked up so I loaded up my sassy little 15 month old and headed down to the pharmacy. They said my prescription wasn't ready and to have a seat. Easier said than done with a baby. Sometimes I hate automatic doors, can I get an amen? Ainsley was pulling things off the shelves, running around, wanting to get into people's purses, whining, crying, running outside. It was so stressful. I had been there for almost an hour and I was in tears I was so stressed out and frustrated with the situation. I remembered the words of President Uchtdorf and tried to think of all I had to be grateful. I was grateful to have insurance, to have my baby, to have my health. I began to pray, please. Let them call my name. Send someone to help me. Help me to have the patience I need right now

A few minutes later one of the workers noticed I had been there for a long time and asked if she could do anything. I almost started crying I was so grateful. She was a sweetheart. She personally got my prescription filled and then waved the fee for it. What a blessing! Not only was it such a blessing to not have to pay for my medication and get the heck outta there, it was such a blessing to feel the love and concern from Heavenly Father. He answered my simple prayer. He loves me. He knows when I'm struggling, even when it's something so simple as my situation. 

I have so much to be grateful for. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)