Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Miss Gentri Lee

Still in Hawaii peeps. Why am I even telling you this? No clue! To make you jealous? Well, I am coming home tomorrow. Sad day. Do you miss me yet? :)

Today's post is from my bloggin buddy Gentri. You must check out her blog! 

Hey there bloggers!!! Thank you to the lovely Alexis for letting me guest post while she's off with her new hubby. Aw! I'm so excited for her and so excited to be here!
I'm Gentri from Gentri Lee. My blog is about life and finding the beautiful things.



May 20th was my mom's birthday and I really wanted to do something special for her. My dad is away working in Arizona so I got him to fly my mom down for a week so I could go to town on making over her crap...er... craft room... Today I'm going to share with you an awesomly simple project that anyone can do to amp up your computer/ craft room!

I'm sure we all have those ugly (yet functional) computer chairs. What's that? You're sitting on one now? The ugly fabric doesn't sit well with your fashion sensitive skin?? Ya, mine didn't either. So I did something about it!

First you'll need to measure your computer chair. Just the parts with fabric on them. Make sure you measure it around to the bottom or back of the chair so you'll get enough fabric to cover everything. Next you'll need to head to the fabric store. Make sure you head to the upholstry section (or find a really heavy duty fabric as the chair will be getting a lot of use). I personally couldn't find anything in the upholstry section that I liked and I already had a vision of FUR in my mind... I'm crazy. I know.

So after you've brought your fabric home you'll need to take your chair apart. Don't be afraid! Just go for it! Every chair is different (I know because I covered two chairs) so it's kind of a figure it out as you go process. If you have chairs like mine you'll want to take the top/ back of the chair off of the bottom. Then simply lay it out on your fabric and measure enough to include "seams". Make sure you cut your fabric the way you'll want it to lay on your chair (so if you buy a graphic pattern you don't want it going diagonal, make sense?). After you've got it all cut out lay your chair parts upside down on top of it's section of fabric.



Now you'll need a staple gun and strong hands (I had to recruit my sister. My weakling hands couldn't handle it). There's no need to remove the old fabric, just cover it. Start at the straight edges of the chair and wrap the fabric to the back of the chair and staple. Make sure if there's any sort of lining covering the previous fabric's "seams" that you lift that before stapling your new fabric. After you've stapled your first edge move to the edge OPPOSITE of the your first edge. Pull the fabric tight before stapling. We don't want droopy fabric. Then move on to the other sides. The corners can get tricky, so try to mimick the original upholstry. Pleats make the nicest corners, plus my fur fabric was really forgiving.

If the top part of your chair has a front and back section you'll need seperate pieces of fabric for each. (make sure your patterns match in the direction you cut them!) I got the back of my chair apart by prying it open with a screw driver. Don't be afraid, just go for it. :) Staple the fabric in place following my previous steps and then put the pieces back together. The screws that went in the back of my chair were enough to hold the pieces together. Although a layer of super glue wouldn't hurt!


Put your chair back together and you've got a new chic chair that you'll love sitting in!


It's an easy process that just takes some figuring out as you go. Like I said, every chair is different so I can't give you exact directions. But feel free to email me with any questions. I'm now an expert!! :D

Thanks everyone for having me today! I'd love for you to visit me at my usual spot: http://gentrilee.blogspot.com/


Happy Reupholstering!

5 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - what a difference! I love the bold fabric that you used too!

I shared this on my TT&J facebook page :)

xoox
Jen

from head 2 toe said...

Wow! Brilliant! Wouldn't have ever thought of that! Enjoy Hawaii- we were there last August!
xoxo

derekandbeccasmith.blogspot.com

ashley said...

gentri is flipping awesome!

Ramsey said...

Gentri, this is fabulous to say the least! And CONGRATULATIONS Alexis!!!! I can't believe you are married...such a beautiful/stunning bride. Can't wait to see more pictures. Love to you both!

Anonymous said...

Here we have the solution for every thing; our IT experts
will provide you Microsoft free MCITP: Enterprise
Administrator questions with solutions. There are e - Book companies that will format your manuscript files into e - Book files
and can even provide a cover image. You don't have to add that you are also being a cheapskate, or maybe you could take advantage of a teachable moment about sticking to a budget.

Feel free to surf to my website: free pdf ebook download